Month: July 2017

Teworing (Tuerong) on the Checkinkurk Creek

Next time you take a drive down to the Mornington Peninsula, just as you enter the freeway proper section of the road beyond Frankston, cast your eye over the gently rolling properties to the left and right – note the rows of vines under the names Dromana Estate, Redhill Estate, Tuerong Estate and others; and beyond the vineyards observe the stud cattle and sheep grazing properties further up the slopes. All that you see, on either side of the freeway for some 13 kilometers, when originally granted to one William Thomas in 1840 was known as Tuerong Station, a...

Read More

About our Research and Researchers

The stories of family which are presented here have derived from extensive research undertaken, firstly by a hardcore of a dozen or so amateur but collectively experienced family member devotees of family history research which our broad Wilson family is fortunate to have had in its ranks over the years; and those years of research have extended from the 1930s right up to today and are ongoing; secondly this research has been supported by occasional amateur and professional genealogists working on our behalf in Scotland and Tasmania. Our earliest known researchers are shown here. Additionally, our research group is actively supported by a further 15 or so more family members from across the breadth of the family who whilst not engaged in research themselves have willingly made available large amounts of family photographs, documents, memorabilia and anecdotal records, information and stories from their memories from childhood and beyond. The earliest family researchers of whom we are aware were David Hartley Wilson of our Tasmanian arm (from William & Margaret’s son Frederick Langloh) who was active in the 1930s searching for connections in Scotland whilst visiting there on a business trip. From Frederick’s brother, John Bowman descendants, John Francis Wilson was actively researching during the 1950s onwards – John Francis was also liaising with his cousin Amy McDonald Wilson who was also actively assembling family memorabilia: photographs, newspaper clippings, postcards,...

Read More

Meet Bonnie William’s sister Ann Doig nee Wilson

Californian resident Ken Doig is an active researcher of several arms of his family’s ancestors and that has led him back to his Scottish heritage and his discovery of the link to our family of Wilsons. Ken’s family charts may be examined on the Doig clan website here. It turns out that Ken’s links reach back to William’s older sister Ann who married George Doig from Monikie in 1797 in Dundee. They proceeded to have four children the last of whom married fellow Scot Elizabeth Pettie in 1837 and emigrated to USA, living initially in Chicago. Ken spotted our Wilson Angus Scotland family details in charts which Laurie Wilson has lodged on a couple of international genealogy websites which are designed to permit researchers to identify family links with other researchers around the world. After a few email exchanges comparing ancestry details it was quickly clear that our William and Ken’s Ann were brother and sister. The Doig charts were of added interest because they contain information about our Wilsons which we in Australia did not have. For example, that their second child John Doig was named after his paternal grandfather John Wilson; that their third also a son, William was named after his uncle (our Bonnie) William Wilson – both of these details are taken from the church baptism records. There is even further information of interest – Ann...

Read More

The Farm, the Fort and the ‘Big House’ on the Hill

Laws hill (in old Scottish the word ‘Laws’ actually means ‘hill’) and Laws Farm and its hinterland is rich in ancient and medieval history – Celtic/Pictic, Roman, Viking. More recently during the 17th and 18th centuries the area figured significantly in Scottish/English political and religious upheaval and intrigue. The vitrified rock remnants of Laws Fort, which significantly predates Roman presence, lie overgrown at the highest point just above the farm buildings. The header image above focuses on the highest point where the Fort was located. An imaginary tale by Rev. Douglas Chisholm reflects on its place in the Roman...

Read More

Scottish Origins – Margaret Bowman of Dunnichen

Dunnichen, in the old Gaelic ‘Dun Nectan’ meaning ‘Hill Fort’ or ‘Stronghold of Nectan’. Nectan was a Pictish King, whilst Dunnichen became famed in that period of history classed as ‘the dark ages’ as the place of a great battle between Pictish and Angle forces, the local Picts inflicting a massive defeat and slaughter of the Angle force led by Angle King Ecgfrith, in the Battle of Dunnichen in 685. A scenic panorama of the attractive and gently undulating countryside adjoining Dunnichen village is seen in the header above. It was at Dunnichen Church seen here that the Banns...

Read More